Description

Blauw, D & C

Very large blank laid paper sheets with watermark "D. & C. Blauw IV"

18th century. ca. 72 x 48 cm., watermark "D. & C. Blauw IV" (variant of Churchill 194), Some waterstains in inner and in lower margin. Ca. 180 grs. Mid 18th Century. Several sheets available (31)
¶ The name de Blauw derives from an important family of Dutch papermakers who began making paper in 1621. The papermakers founded by Dirk and Cornelis Blauw operated five wind-powered papermills in the Zaanstreek province of North Holland, and survived for over 250 years under many names. D & C Blauw was very well known for their quality. Whistler had a particular preference for Dutch 'antique laid' papers; he was aware that the rich quality they gave to ink could not be imitated with contemporary papers. Frederick Goulding (1842–1909) – who completed a posthumous edition of Whistler’s lithographs at the request of Birnie Philips (Whistler’s sister-in-law and executor of his estate) often chose to print on D&C Blauw paper. Variations of the D&C Blauw watermark and countermark appear in the paper of eight works by Whistler in the National Gallery of Australia collection.

Click on a picture to enlarge.

Product id:
2791

€ 95,00

In stock: 31